Cons: video card inferior, expansion slots, usb-3 port location, not enough usb connectors in the rear, inferior speakers
"I received this computer about 1.5 weeks ago. Thus far it has performed mostly to my expectations.
I discovered the following issues with this computer:
(1) USB-3 interface is highly recommended for auxiliary disk drives that are used for backup. This computer's two USB-3 ports are located on top of the chassis, and results in an ugly network of wires that are visible on top. As an alternative, I successfully added an USB-3 expansion card to one of the three free PCIe slots.
(2) The computer does not come with an eSATA connector. So, I successfully added a SATA-3 (RAID) expansion card in one of the two remaining PCIe slots. This card also provided high speed SATA-3 support for my second internal SATA-3 hard drive that I had installed earlier.
(3) To use two of the four PCIe expansion slots, the user must use a flat headed screwdriver to "BREAK" or tear-out some sheet metal. I say this design is a cheap manufacturing solution. Why not use a replaceable slot cover as was done for the other two!
(4) The graphics card is a basic 520 series version. Considering that we are using an i7 CPU, a 560 series card would have provided much better performance according to Windows 7 benchmark scores.
(5) My CPU is connected to an APC UPS unit. Only when I disconnect the power to the CPU, the supplied speakers generate a noise like marbles inside a tin can being rattled. The cheap speakers require a USB connection for power. Disconnecting the USB cord from the CPU solves the noise problem.
(6) With only 4 USB-2 connectors in the rear, (3 are occupied by the mouse, keyboard, and the speakers) you will soon need a USB hub for other added accessories that you want to connect to the real."
13 of 13 people found this review helpful.
Share this Review:
Review 2 for HP Pavilion HPE H8-1212CB Bilingual Desktop, i7-2600, 23-in. LED-LCD 10 GB, 1 TB
"Very good value for your dollar. The NVIDIA® GeForce® 520 graphics card is great for all but the very hard core gamers. The CPU is very fast and extremely quiet. I looked for several months before I purchased and dollar for power, this was an excellent deal. Easy access to USB ports and the Integrated wireless LAN works great, even two floors away from my wireless router."